1. High water holding capacity.
2. It can hold moisture (therefore nutrients in solution) for longer periods and make it available to the plants when required.
3. Efficiency of fertilizer is improved if Coco peat is used.
4. Reduces cost of irrigation due to less frequent and quantity of water needed.
5. The loose structure provides better aeration and enables root development.
6. Slow decomposition reduces replacement cost.
7. Being a poor conductor of heat, helps keep soil temperature under control.
8. Absence of weed seed and pathogens, and protects against bacterial and fungal infestations.